Wednesday, March 2, 2011

National News


I like to think that the news about Davies is pretty big nationwide. If I did, then I would probably be making the same mistake fellow Utah county-ites makes in assuming that what happens here is followed by everyone. I am not sure if Jimmer Fredette gets mentioned on ESPN as often as BYU students think he does. I am not sure if Julianne Hough and David Archuletta are really celebrities or if people outside their hometowns just forget about previous winners and runner-ups. Word on campus is that The BYU Honor Code is the hot topic on Facebook and Twitter at the moment. Does this mean it's the big controversy among kids whose parents went to BYU, or could I really bring this up to start a conversation with someone in Kentucky who is ranked a 5 on a scale of 1-10 for college basketball enthusiasm? I currently live my life in the bubble and don't know if people outside the bubble care about this issue as much as people inside the bubble like to think that people outside the bubble do. Either way, I am proud to go to a school that doesn't make exceptions for their athletes, even if it does mean a heartwrenching loss or two. As a player on the most unrecognized team of the university (women's lacrosse) I believe that all athletes should be held responsible for representing their school. When you are playing for something bigger than yourself, that 'something bigger' should come before yourself. Don't get me wrong, I believe in rights to privacy, I believe we should be sympathetic, and I believe in forgiveness and mercy, but I also believe that BYU did the right thing in suspending Davies from playing on the previously ranked #3 team for the remainder of the season. Whether BYU is getting national attention for their basketball team or just think that they are, the campus celebrities should be held accountable for extending the image of a virtuous student body to the rest of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment