Monday, December 12, 2011

Cool

Christmas is probably the only thing that ever gets me in the mood to cook,
bake more like it.
A Christmas breakfast back home left my parents with tons of left over bananas,
so I snatched them hoping I could make banana bread at my apartment.
Because I'd made it before under the supervision of my mom and it was pretty easy and turned out delicious, I thought just maybe I could do it by myself.
I followed the recipe and directions perfectly and the dough tasted great.
After the ingredients and mixing instructions, the recipe read:
Bake at 325 for 1 hr, 10 min.
Cook for 10 min in pan, then turn on to rack.
Like a pro, I put the bread in the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes so I would know when to flip the bread on to the rack and cook it outside of the pan.
After 10 minutes the bread was no where near solid enough to take out of the pan and put it on the rack.
After a confused debate with my roommates, we put it in the oven for another 10 minutes... still not solid enough.
I was panicked because I didn't want the edges of the bread to burn.
Gavin, being the creative man that he is, flipped the bread from the pan onto a cookie tray, so we could cook it upside down on the tray instead of the rack.
No, the bread didn't rise.
It looked really funny, but tasted good so we were satisfied.
The next day, I asked my mom what I should have done. I didn't remember how I had gotten the bread from the pan to the rack the last time I made the bread.
She just laughed.
There is a MAJOR typo in that recipe.
COOL for 10 minutes, then turn on to the rack.
After you COOK the bread for 1 hr, 10 min, the bread needs to COOL.
If your banana bread ends up looking like a brick,
you did it wrong.

2 comments:

  1. HaHaHa. Oh my goodness . . . .
    I would think I was a bad mom and didn't raise you correctly; however, I take comfort in the fact that Gavin nor your roommates could figure it out either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.... the upside down pizza all over again.... Madi Madi Madi... Tell us about that. It's even more stupid than this! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete