Monday, March 26, 2012

The Question

Long Version:
On Saturday (March 24, 2012) I had two lacrosse games up in Salt Lake. Gavin and Brent made it up to my second game then drove me home to Riverton. I asked Gavin what he wanted to do that night and he said he didn't really care. I asked if I should shower and get ready or if it was going to be a 'sweats' sort of night. He said to wear whatever I wanted, but Brent told me I should shower and look OK. Gavin walked me to my door and suggested we go rafting at the golf course pond that night. I said yeah, if it's warm enough, we should go.
I always kind of assumed he'd want to propose to me at the golf course. (Because yes, all eight of you other girls who went there with him, that is our special place.) I had no idea that he had the ring yet or that he had talked to my dad or anything, but when he suggested going to the golf course, I got hopeful that he would pop the question. I kept talking it down to myself because I didn't want to get my hopes up and it didn't make sense because he acted like he didn't have a plan for the night.
He picked me up a few hours later and took me to Olive Garden. Then we went to his house and I talked to his mom while he pumped up the raft and put a blanket in the car. We parked across the street from the golf course and sneakily dodged cars and hopped the fence and headed towards the pond with the raft. We got to the pond and there was no water in the pond! In my head I was thinking "If he is going to propose tonight and wants to do it on the golf course, I don't want him to be disappointed about the pond and I don't want him to wait until there is water here" so I told him I was fine with just hanging out on the green (which was true).
Once or twice before, we had gone rafting on this pond off the Jordan River, where there is a little wooden trail and gazebo and duck feeders. Gavin asked if I wanted to go there. I said no because I got creeped out on the Jordan River trail at night and I didn't want to walk that far and it was getting cold. He was like "I don't remember the pond being that far of a walk" and I argued that it was and that we shouldn't go. He asked "Do you trust me?" I said yes, and we went.
At this point, I wasn't really expecting anything, because Gavin didn't seem to care too much that we couldn't raft at the golf course. He also didn't seem like he had much of a plan for the night. So, we walked down the trail and I turned toward the gazebo/pond path. The little trail was lined with candles and flowers and inside the gazebo was a bouquet of roses.


I smiled and looked at him and he dropped the raft and hugged me then got down on his knee and asked me to marry him. I should have stared longer and really soaked up the image! I said yes quickly and pulled him up and kissed him and hugged him for not long enough. I said yes and he put the beautiful ring on my hand!


His friends Jordan and Brent came walking down the path a few minutes later and took some pictures then left us to raft (float) alone. There was lots of lights in the water that we chased down and picked up before we left. It was perfect. I want to replay it over and over. I love Gavin, I love my ring, and I can't wait for August 16th!

(Because Jordan was a big part of this and he wanted to be in our pictures. Sorry, Brent, we only ended up with a picture of your eye.)

5 comments:

  1. I am truly honored to be included in this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madi that is so exciting!! Congratulations!!!! I can't wait to see you and hear the story from you in person! I am so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, can I just say, it's about time and that August 16th is a long time away. . . But Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Madi!!!!! I won't be at practice tonight, but I'm excited to see your ring in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pft. wow. thanks for wearing my jacket madi. maybe we will wear the same wedding dress too. :) Love you and congrats

    ReplyDelete